Locate ONE (1) of the following articles using the library:
A. Messina et al (2010). “A randomized experimental study of gender-responsive substance abuse treatment for women in prison” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment.
B. Harkins et al (2010). “Evaluation of a Community-Based Sex Offender Treatment Program Using a Good Lives Model Approach” Sexual Abuse: A Journal of Research and Treatment.
And then answer the questions below:
1. Locate the article within the broader literature.
– In order to do this, you will need to cite at least three (3) other recent papers to demonstrate how you have located this work in the context of other empirical research on the topic.
– In this section you might want to consider the following prompts…
o Briefly describe how this articled fits in with (or conflicts with) others on the topic
o Does it move the field forward? Does it ask a new question? Does it replicate a previous study?
o How does it add to our knowledge of the topic?
o In the several years since its publication, what has its contribution been to the field?
2. Briefly describe what the authors did (and how they did it)
– Describe what they did, to whom, under what circumstances, and to what end.
3. Briefly describe what the authors found
4. Describe the implications of the study (for policy, research, clinical practice, etc)
– Explain why this study is important
– Comment on the extent to which you think this paper has the power to impact change in the field? If so, how? If not, why not?
5. Briefly describe the limitations of the study. How might these be overcome? What would you do differently if given the chance to replicate this study? Perhaps it should never be replicated? (why?)