Peoples, Culture, and History of Southeast Asia
Extra Credit Opportunity: The Lady
The Lady is a movie portrayal of the life of Aung San Suu Kyi, the democracy leader of Burma about whom we are reading this week. It is a nicely-executed film which won several international awards upon its release in 2011. The film is available on amazon.com instant play and other on-line sites.
For this assignment, you are required to watch the film carefully, taking notes along the way, and then answer the following questions. Do not ‘cut-and-paste’ on-line reviews of the film – this is plagiarism and will result in zero points for the assignment and a possible ‘F’ for the semester, as well as disciplinary action from the university.
You may, of course, watch the film with a friend or friends, but your answers must be your own, in your own words (not just a few words substituted here and there – papers that are nearly identical in their answers will all receive zero points).
The assignment is worth a maximum of 10 points extra credit, and it is due by Tuesday, October 27th. Late assignments will not be accepted under any circumstances; don’t ask.
1) What key event happened in 1947, as depicted early in the film, and how do you feel this may have affected the young Aung San Suu Kyi’s attitude toward politics in her later life?
2) Why did Aung San Suu Kyi return to Burma in 1988, and how did she become involved in the political situation there? Why do you think she became involved, even though she had not previously been involved in politics?
3) What key event happened in 1990, and what were the reactions of Aung San Suu Kyi and her supporters, as well as the reaction of the military rulers?
4) What key event happened to Aung San Suu Kyi and her family in 1991?
5) What was Aung San Suu Kyi’s family situation during her years of house arrest, and what were some of the challenges she faced regarding her family life?
6) What happened in the family of Aung San Suu Kyi in 1998? Why couldn’t she see her husband during this tragic period? Why do you feel Aung San Suu Kyi acted as she did?