Scholarly Activity, Right to Privacy Assignment
Right to Privacy Assignment
Certain freedoms, or civil liberties, and privacy, a civil right, are concepts highly revered by Americans; however, there are
times when the two conflict in the name of safety and security. The Digital Age is having a profound effect on the issue as
cameras catch our every move, whether it is running a red light, entering a building, playing in a park, or using an ATM
This assignment is based on your opinion regarding privacy versus safety and security. Answer the following questions in a
cohesive essay consisting of at least two pages, double-spaced, using 12-point Times font. You must use at least three
sources. Make sure that all sources are cited and referenced using APA style.
1. Begin by identifying which part of the Constitution provides for your privacy rights. Do you believe that with today’s
technology the Constitution still adequately protects those rights? Why, or why not?
2. Select and describe an issue that has been in the news within the last 15 years related to how politics and the right to
privacy have intersected and led to an invasion of privacy. If you believe no rights were violated, select a relevant
article and discuss what actions would have created violation of privacy and why.
3. Take a stand. Do you agree with the invasion of privacy story you discussed in #2 above, or do you object? Where do
you draw the line in this privacy issue? Explain your response.
4. Explain how historical thought and tradition affect civil liberties and rights as they pertain to the issue you chose.
5. What consequences do you support for those who cross the line?