Write a 2500 word essay in answer to one of the following;
- Science fiction is generally regard. as a marginal genre, yet individual science fiction films have been among the most successful ever made. How might we explain this apparent contradiction?
- ‘Nothing dates quite so rapidly as our ideas of what the future might be like’ (Philip French). Do you think this is born out by science fiction cinema?
- It has been said that in science fiction literature the idea is the hero, while in science fiction cinema the image is the hero. Do you agree?
- How successfully has H. G. Wells been adapted for the cinema?
- Discuss the role of one of the following themes in science fiction cinema: time travel; alien invasion; utopiaidystopia; future cities.