Details of task: chose 1 question and answer
1. According to Baudrillard, ‘mass media facilitate non-communication’. Discuss the meaning of this claim and evaluate also whether online media restore Baudrillard’s sense of ‘communication.’
2. Is it possible to become famous on the Internet? Discuss, with reference to the social relationships embodied in broadcast and network communication.
3. What are the differences between J. B Thompson’s concept of Interaction and Calhoun’s concept of integration? Discuss in relation to television and the internet.
All written work must be presented in a clear, easy-to-read format (whether online or hard copy submission is used). Use a simple font such as Times New Roman in size 12, double-space your work, and include page numbers. APA or Harvard referencing style.
Criteria for marking:
CONTENT AND UNDERSTANDING
• Understanding topic and identifying key issues
• Discussing range of concerns addressed by topic
• Correctly using key concepts, theories and terminology Identifying and incorporating relevant reading material Undertaking independent research and accessing appropriate secondary resources
• Introducing and analysing relevant examples
STRUCTURE AND ANALYSIS
• Clearly structuring discussion around major issues Analysing significance and implications of issues raised Thinking critically and independently
• Exploring relevant theoretical and/or industry debates and examining their implications
ACADEMIC STYLE AND PRESENTATION
• Correctly using academic register, vocabulary and writing style Constructing grammatically correct sentences and paragraphs Submitting assessment in correct format and by due date Accurately using academic referencing and bibliographic style Appending relevant media texts or other illustrative material