Sneakers Unlimited is a manufacturer of men’s and women’s leisure shoes. What began as a small family business has now grown into a firm with a large and very popular
The firm produces three lines in the range – Dance, Run and Walk. The firm’s products have a relatively short lifetime and often styles popular in one period are out
of fashion by the next period.
Costing system currently used
The firm accounts for its products using standard absorption job costing, applying overhead to products using a plant-wide rate based on direct labour hours. Materials
purchases are recorded at actual cost. Work in process and finished goods inventories are recorded at standard cost. All cost variances in the period are transferred
to cost of goods sold at the end of the period.
This existing costing system was established when only one type of sneakers was produced and when overhead was a significantly smaller proportion of total cost than it
Materials for sneakers are fabric, cottons, and depending on the styles, zippers, buttons, Velcro, laces and logos. At the present time the only material which is
traced directly to the product is fabric. Cottons, buttons, zippers, laces, Velcro and logos are treated as indirect materials (overhead). All on-costs such as
superannuation, payroll tax, provisions for leave on wages are treated as indirect costs (overhead).
Standards are determined at the point when the product is initially designed, and are regularly updated to reflect all changes in the manufacturing process. The firm
prides itself on its very efficient labour force, and in the past the company seldom had cost over-runs due to labour inefficiency.
In the period which is the focus of this review, two changes were made in the manufacturing process. First, a change was made in the layout of the manufacturing space
which should reduce the standard time per product in the long run. The direct labour standards have not yet been updated to include this change. Secondly, a new type
of material was purchased from the current supplier. The supplier had claimed that the new material (which is of high quality, yet cost a similar price to the old
material) is easier to work with in terms of both cutting and sewing. The supplier is known to be reliable in terms of material supply.
Review of costing system
The firm is commencing an extensive review of its costing system and reporting practices. This review will involve all divisions of the firm. Your task is only a
small part of the entire review:
• One product only (“Dance” sneakers), and
• Selected tasks only – for example, a discussion on implementing Activity Based Costing
Some of the issues which have prompted the review are:
• Various pressures from competitors have alerted the firm to be more cost conscious. The firm has had a number of issues with their product pricing recently.
The firm sets prices based on a mark-up on total cost (i.e. inventoriable (product) cost + period cost for each product). Various inconsistencies have been identified
when comparing Sneakers Unlimited prices with those of its major competitors. As a result, the firm wants to have more confidence in the product cost generated by the
accounting system, in particular the cost of each individual product (Dance, Run and Walk).
• In addition to product pricing, the costing data provided by the firm is now being used extensively for other decision-making within the firm. This means that
the accuracy of costing data is becoming increasingly important.
• In recent times the firm has been faced with limited storage space at their premises. The firm is unable, at this stage, to consider options involving a
significant capital outlay to relocate or rebuild. Further, Just in Time inventory is not an option for this firm. (Note: the recent change in factory layout has no
impact in any way on storage capacity.)
The requirements of the case begin on the next page. In addition to the tasks management have asked you to complete, they have also indicated that there are a few
issues that you are not to include:
• Ways of reducing costs – You are to take all costs as given, and at this stage not recommend any particular ways of attempting to reduce or eliminate costs.
• Use all data as given, including all the fixed overhead figures without trying to fine-tune those figures in any way.
• Management has extensively reviewed the budgeting process of the firm and is happy that all budgets have been appropriately set. Therefore you should not
include any issues related to the firm’s budgeting process.
• Management has stressed that your responses to the questions should be based only on the facts with which you have been provided. Do not go outside these
• The information you provide will be combined with information relating to the other lines (“Run” and “Walk”) for further analysis. This additional analysis and
any issues which may result from combining the information are outside the scope of this case.
• Be concise
• Do not include unnecessary padding
• Use pro-forma Part B on Blackboard to structure your responses
Task Description – “Dance” Sneakers
You are to assist the review process by providing management with the following items related to the product line “Dance”.
1. Six technical reports with two supporting schedules (Part A). Management is considering various costing system options. To facilitate their decision-making
they have requested the preparation of these schedules. The data and the schedules are in the Excel file on Blackboard.
2. Short answers to 3 questions from management (listed below Part B 1-3). Your answers to each of the questions should be complete, but also should be clear and
concise, and in a form that is easy for managers to read and understand. You may use bullet points if they assist in the presentation of your answers. Answers must
be written in acceptable Business English.
3. A discussion (Part B – 4 below) based on (i) Schedule 6 (ABC), (ii) the facts of the case (iii) and an article from the literature.
PART A: Schedules required (12 + 8 Marks)
Complete schedules (8) in the appropriate spaces on pro-formas. Do not delete any parts of the pro-forma. Show all required working in the relevant spaces, and only
show required working.
• Variance report related to units produced. (Schedule 1)
• Calculation of standard costing cost variances relating to the product “Dance”. The firm calculates price variances for all manufacturing costs, efficiency
variances for all variable manufacturing costs, and a fixed overhead volume variance. The material price variance is calculated on usage. (Schedule 2)
• The Normal Absorption Costing Income Statement for the period, with relevant variances expensed to the period and; recast the Income Statement (with relevant
variances expensed to the period) assuming Standard Absorption Costing. (Schedules 3 and 4, and a schedule to calculate COGS)
• Show the journal entries for the period under the standard absorption costing system currently used by the firm. Journal entries must be presented in proper
form. (Schedule 5)
• Prepare a comparison of overhead costs per product under the existing costing system (a plant-wide rate based on DL hours) with an Activity Based Costing
system using the cost pools and cost drivers identified in the data. (Schedule 6 and workings for Schedule 6)
• If you want to be eligible for up to 8 marks, then use formulas in your calculations. The formulas will have to refer to other cells in the worksheet that
either contain the original values, e.g. dl cost per hour, machine hours per unit, order times etc. or to formulas from a previous step. This means, every time the
values in the data sheet are changed, the results are updated automatically.
• To be clear, all worksheets are to be completed using formulas that draw values from the data provided. In each worksheet, students will be deducted 0.5 marks
for each cell that contains a numerical value that has not been obtained using an Excel formula. It is not necessary to enter the label “U” or “F” in the column next
to the relevant variance value. If you wish to do so use an “if” statement.
• Each sheet is worth 1 mark, therefore only two errors can be made in each sheet.
PART B: Answers to management questions (pro-forma provided) (20 Marks)
(1) The firm’s labour force has a good reputation. Therefore, management is perplexed at the efficiency variances from this period. Taking each of the variances
separately under the headings provided in the pro-forma, suggest possible reasons (deriving from the facts provided in the case) that the firm has used more/less
material and more/less DL hours than it should have. Your suggested reason(s) may apply to more than one variance so be very clear here. Be concise and succinct.
(2) Management is keen to have more confidence in its product costs. One way to achieve this would be to implement Activity Based Costing (as you will discuss in
(4) below). There are other improvements that this firm could make to the way it is currently costing its products. This may provide product costs which the
management of the Department can be more confident about (costs which would be less subjective). Identify and explain two improvements that can be made to the
costing system based on the facts provided in the case. (50% each). Note that the improvements may be related to each other.
(3) Management is uncertain about the meaning of the fixed volume variance. They have commented: “the fixed OH volume variance is favourable, so this must mean
that everything is OK there”. Explain to management the meaning of the variance and why their observation is incorrect. (50%) In addition, following on from that
explanation, explain related consequences for the firm in light of the other concerns that management has raised, (50%)
(4) Based on your analysis in Schedule 6 and the facts of the case, discuss why you would or would not recommend ABC. Also, provide further evidence for your
discussion by referring to an article from the literature (use the Internet or QUT’s database). Articles from professional or scientific journals/magazines that report
on costing system (e.g. ABC) experiences will serve this purpose well. Textbooks such as Horngren et al. (2011) do not qualify as an article. Use the AREA critical
thinking framework document on Blackboard under Lecture 2 to structure your discussion. Your discussion should be no longer than two pages (double line spacing).
Make sure that you:
• Answer the question asked, and only the question asked.
• Provide complete answers.
As per the third paragraph of the case study “The firm accounts for its products using standard absorption job costing….”, except for question 4, none of the answers
require you to recommend one costing system over another, e.g. do not discuss the different costing systems such as:
• Absorption .v. variable
• Normal .v. standard
• Job .v. process
• How to dispose of variances (transferring to COGS or prorating)
• Using Activity Based Costing or plant-wide rates
• Using multiple OH rates or plant-wide rates
Comments regarding specific questions
Question 1 – Efficiency variances.
Do not define an (un)favourable efficiency variance. An (un)favourable efficiency variance means that Sneakers Unlimited has used more/less material and more/less DL
hours than it should have. The question already defines this for you. You are asked to consider the facts of the case and suggest reasons the firm has used more/less
material and more/less DL hours than it should have.
Do not include broad, generic “possible reasons for (un)favourable efficiency variances”.
Question 2 – Two changes to costing.
Note that the answer to this question does not relate to any items required for question 4. Further, it does not relate to any of the costing system choices referred
to in paragraph 3 of the case.
Question 3 – Fixed volume variance.
Make sure you answer both parts. For the second part, use information found in the case material.
Question 4 – Activity Based Costing.
This is the only question that relates to the use of ABC rates or plant-wide rates. Do not discuss alternative methods of calculating overhead rates (ABC, plant-wide,
multiple rates etc) in any other question.
Research and referencing
• Except for Part B4 (the discussion), please do not use any references. For B4, use any acceptable referencing style such as Harvard.
• Your bibliography should include full details of the article you have used in your discussion in Part B4.
• Your entire assignment must be written in your own words. Students should note that severe penalties are imposed for plagiarism.
Length of assignment
• Answers to management questions (Pro-forma Part B) can be three to four pages but must be no longer than four (4) single-sided pages, double line spacing,
excluding the bibliography, which should be on the 5th page.
• NOTE: The markers will only mark the first 4 pages; any more pages will be ignored.
• Schedules must be completed in the excel sheet provided.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂
Compelling correspondence is essential to the achievement all things considered but since of the changing idea of the present working environments, successful correspondence turns out to be more troublesome, and because of the numerous impediments that will permit beneficiaries to acknowledge the plan of the sender It is restricted. Misguided judgments.In spite of the fact that correspondence inside the association is rarely completely open, numerous straightforward arrangements can be executed to advance the effect of these hindrances.
Concerning specific contextual analysis, two significant correspondence standards, correspondence channel determination and commotion are self-evident. This course presents the standards of correspondence, the act of general correspondence, and different speculations to all the more likely comprehend the correspondence exchanges experienced in regular daily existence. The standards and practices that you learn in this course give the premise to additionally learning and correspondence.
This course starts with an outline of the correspondence cycle, the method of reasoning and hypothesis. In resulting modules of the course, we will look at explicit use of relational connections in close to home and expert life. These incorporate relational correspondence, bunch correspondence and dynamic, authoritative correspondence in the work environment or relational correspondence. Rule of Business Communication In request to make correspondence viable, it is important to follow a few rules and standards. Seven of them are fundamental and applicable, and these are clear, finished, brief, obliging, right, thought to be, concrete. These standards are frequently called 7C for business correspondence. The subtleties of these correspondence standards are examined underneath: Politeness Principle: When conveying, we should build up a cordial relationship with every individual who sends data to us.
To be inviting and polite is indistinguishable, and politeness requires an insightful and amicable activity against others. Axioms are notable that gracious “pay of graciousness is the main thing to win everything”. Correspondence staff ought to consistently remember this. The accompanying standards may assist with improving courtesy:Preliminary considering correspondence with family All glad families have the mystery of progress. This achievement originates from a strong establishment of closeness and closeness. Indeed, through private correspondence these cozy family connections become all the more intently. Correspondence is the foundation of different affiliations, building solid partners of obedient devotion, improving family way of life, and assisting with accomplishing satisfaction (Gosche, p. 1). In any case, so as to keep up an amicable relationship, a few families experienced tumultuous encounters. Correspondence in the family is an intricate and alluring marvel. Correspondence between families isn’t restricted to single messages between families or verbal correspondence.
It is a unique cycle that oversees force, closeness and limits, cohesiveness and flexibility of route frameworks, and makes pictures, topics, stories, ceremonies, rules, jobs, making implications, making a feeling of family life An intelligent cycle that makes a model. This model has passed ages. Notwithstanding the view as a family and family automatic framework, one of the greatest exploration establishments in between family correspondence centers around a family correspondence model. Family correspondence model (FCP) hypothesis clarifies why families impart in their own specific manner dependent on one another ‘s psychological direction. Early FCP research established in media research is keen on how families handle broad communications data. Family correspondence was perceived as an exceptional scholastic exploration field by the National Communications Association in 1989. Family correspondence researchers were at first impacted by family research, social brain science, and relational hypothesis, before long built up the hypothesis and began research in a family framework zeroed in on a significant job. Until 2001, the primary issue of the Family Communication Research Journal, Family Communication Magazine, was given. Family correspondence is more than the field of correspondence analysts in the family. Examination on family correspondence is normally done by individuals in brain science, humanism, and family research, to give some examples models. However, as the popular family correspondence researcher Leslie Baxter stated, it is the focal point of this intelligent semantic creation measure making the grant of family correspondence special. In the field of in-home correspondence, correspondence is normally not founded on autonomous messages from one sender to one beneficiary, yet dependent on the dynamic interdependency of data shared among families It is conceptualized. The focal point of this methodology is on the shared trait of semantic development inside family frameworks. As such, producing doesn’t happen in vacuum, however it happens in a wide scope of ages and social exchange.
Standards are rules end up being followed when performing work to agree to a given objective. Hierarchical achievement relies significantly upon compelling correspondence. So as to successfully impart, it is important to follow a few standards and rules. Coming up next are rules to guarantee powerful correspondence: clearness: lucidity of data is a significant guideline of correspondence. For beneficiaries to know the message plainly, the messages ought to be sorted out in a basic language. To guarantee that beneficiaries can without much of a stretch comprehend the importance of the message, the sender needs to impart unmistakably and unhesitatingly so the beneficiary can plainly and unquestionably comprehend the data.>