Social Justice part 4
SOCIAL JUSTICE ASSIGN 4
Letter to the Legislator
This assignment provides you with the opportunity to use a specific political advocacy strategy: communication with a legislator via a letter. Expressing your support or lack of support for proposed legislation (bills) can be a powerful way to speak up about an issue. In this assignment, you will identify a proposed bill and voice your support for, or argument for not, passing that particular bill.
(1) Select a piece of legislation proposed either in your state or at the national level.
(2) Identify your state representative at the level of the bill—this will be either your state, House of Representatives, or Senate representative, depending on the bill that you selected.
(3) Conduct a literature review to identify evidence pertaining to the issue addressed in the bill. Find at least three sources.
(4) Develop a letter to send to your state legislator. This letter should integrate the evidence supporting your position. The following websites offer templates, examples, and/or guidelines for letters to legislators that you may want to consider.
-Follow these guidelines in writing your letter.
(1) Write the letter in a business letter format.
(2) Include the following:
(a) introduction of self and professional position
(b) overview of the bill you want to address
(c) clear argument in support of or not in support of the bill
(d) integration of evidence from scholarly literature to support your position
(e) Legal name, credentials, and contact information
(3) Proofread the letter so that it is free of grammatical, spelling, and syntax errors.
Highly professional in appearance and in a business letter format
-Introduces self and professional position
Introduces self and clearly states professional position
-Description of the bill Opinion of the bill
Description of the bill demonstrates clear understanding. Clearly states opinion of the bill
-Integration of evidence from scholarly literature
Through integration of the evidence from scholarly literature. Demonstrates synthesis of information obtained from the literature
-Spelling, sentence structure organization & grammar
Excellent spelling, sentence structure and grammar throughout the paper. Excellent organization and easy to read.