Strategic Financial Management
Topic 1: Strategic Financial Management
This coursework requires students to choose one retailer company from the UK and carry out strategic analysis in relation to the impact of strategy on financial performance of the company.
More specifically, this assignment requires students to:
1) Choose one retailer company from FTSE250 (the cut date is the end of January 2016);
2) Identify the current strengths and weaknesses of the company in a sector and/or market that the company’s main businesses fit (you can use various analysis techniques and public available information to justify the strengths and weaknesses);
3) Apply the concepts of strategic financial management to the case company;
4) Propose (with justifications) some possible actions that the company should take to implement strategic financial management in the next few years.
1. Aspara, Jaakko & Tikkanen, Henrikki (2013). “Creating novel consumer value vs. capturing value: strategic emphases and financial performance implications”. Journal of Business Research, Volume 66, Issue 5, Pages 593–602.
2. Rajiv D. Banker, Raj Mashruwala, & Arindam Tripathy (2014). “Does a differentiation strategy lead to more sustainable financial performance than a cost leadership strategy?”, Management Decision, Vol. 52 Iss 5, pp. 872 – 896.