Learning Outcomes to be assessed:
1. Identify the major theoretical models of SHRM and evaluate their relevance to practical application.
2. Discuss the relationship between SHRM activities and the strategic imperatives facing the organisation including its structure & culture.
3. Synthesise the available evidence and apply SHRM theory to a practical situation.
4. Evaluate the relevance of SHRM and identify the methodologies for its measurement.
5. Identify the strategic dimensions of common HRM activities.
Your task is to write a 3000 word essay answering question 2. You must underpin your analysis with relevant academic literature and theoretical insights. In addition, you must cite relevant examples wherever possible and use the Harvard Referencing System.
2. The underpinning claim of strategic human resource is its pivotal contribution to an organisation’s competitive advantage, whether it is through cost-reduction methods or more often added value through best-practice HR policies and practices (Beardwell & Thompson, 2014). Critically evaluate the role of strategic HRM in developing and sustaining competitive advantage in contemporary organisations.
Assessment Guidelines & Marking Scheme
3000 word Essay
• You are expected to demonstrate a critical and comprehensive awareness of relevant concepts underpinning Strategic HRM.
• Equally, you will need to produce comprehensive definitions of the respective concepts pertaining and underpinning the question you seek to address
• In addition, your overall evaluation must critically reflect on the key debates, arguments underpinning strategic HRM.
• You are also expected to show theoretical depth and breadth as well as extensive reading on strategic HRM, utilising various academic sources to support and substantiate your arguments and analyses.
• You must provide adequate references and appropriately use the Harvard Referencing System
• The overall essay must be underpinned by a clear structure.
In addition to the above guidelines, the guidelines below reflect the standards of work expected from students.
2:1 60 – 69% Good
• shows clear evidence of wide and relevant reading and an engagement with the conceptual issues;
• develops a sophisticated and intelligent argument;
• shows a rigorous use and a good understanding of relevant source materials, achieving an appropriate balance between factual detail and key theoretical issues;
• May provide evidence of original thinking.
• offers critical insights and shows evidence of critical thinking;
• shows a good understanding of the major factual and/or theoretical issues, and addresses the relevant literature on the topic;
• develops a focused and clear argument and articulates a sustained train of logical thought;
• gives a clear exposition of models/diagrams, with derivation, where appropriate;
• shows clear evidence of planning in the formulation of the written answer and includes a judicious choice of sources and methodology