Objectives of Assignment:
Upon completion of the assignment, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of strategic management to organisations.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of a range of strategic management models
3. Demonstrate an ability to analyse and evaluate a range of strategic management models.
4. Demonstrate an ability to apply the strategic management process and strategic management models to real life businesses.
For a firm within the Malaysian automobile industry briefly discuss:
• the stages, steps and procedures that should be implemented to carry out strategic analysis as part of the strategic management process;
• the stages, steps and procedures involved in the formulation of business and corporate strategy as part of the strategic management process;
In answering this assignment question, students are expected to pay more attention to carrying out a strategic analysis of the relevant internal and external factors that need to be addressed by the chosen firm. Students also need to formulate appropriate strategies taking into account the relevant internal and external factors.
Word length : 3000 – 3200 words
Here is a series of questions that you need to consider. You may not need to write about all of them but you do need to think about the relevance of many of them.
1. What are the stages of the strategic management process and how do they fit together and contribute to the strategic management process?
2. What is meant by strategic analysis? What are its component parts and how do they fit together and contribute?
3. What techniques are appropriate for analysing the external environment: both the general environment and the competitive environment?
4. What techniques are appropriate for analysing the internal environment?
5. What role does SWOT analysis play in the strategic analysis stage?
6. What is meant by the strategy formulation stage? How does in fit into and contribute to the stages in the strategic management process?
7. What are some of the strengths and weaknesses of Porter’s generic strategies?
8. What are some of the implications for business strategy of the resource-based approach?
9. What are some of the implications for business strategy of the ‘industry lifecycle’ and of market turbulence?
10. In relation to corporate strategy, what are some of the main decisions that need to be made?
11. In relation to your chosen firm what might be relevant growth strategies?
These are some questions that you should answer in your assignment. You should relate these to the firm of your choice to show that you really understand what you have written.
Some overall points of guidance
Your introduction should include a general introduction to the paper as a whole and a guide to its structure. It should also include a brief introduction/summary of your chosen firm but it would be good to supplement this with a fuller company profile in an appendix.
Suggested Report Structure:
This assignment is a report so it should be formal in structure with the use of heading and sub-headings.
? Title page
? Executive Summary
? Contents page
? Strategic Analysis
? Strategy Formulation, Evaluation and Choice
? Reference list
? Appendix 1 – Company Profile
? Any other appendices