Sustainable Construction – Assignment- The Booking Office. Design proposals to enhance and creatively re-use an existing dockside building on the Pierhead,
‘Living Milford’ is a new initiative to promote the maritime history of Milford Haven and the natural beauty of the Haven to local people and visiting tourists alike.
A feature of the ‘Living Milford’ experience on offer will be a new leisure boat that will make regular sailings and trips around the estuary, to explore the Haven
from Milford Docks .
A small flat-roofed building which is redundant has been identified for conversion into a new booking office for the boat trips. The building is well-situated, being
near the pier from where the boat will embark, however it’s size and utilitarian appearance are not very eye-catching and it may prove difficult for visitors and
passengers to find.
The site is at the mouth of the dock adjacent to the sea-lock, with spectacular, panoramic views of the Haven. Given this location it goes without saying that this is
also a very exposed site.
The internal accommodation is to be converted to provide a Booking Office. The accommodation includes an office with a separate staff tea-point and store, and disabled
wc’s for the public. A design has been produced and agreed already
You are asked to come up with ideas and a concept for the exterior of the building and it’s surroundings. ‘Living Milford’ would like your design to be a beacon, and
instantly recognisable to first –time visitors arriving in the docks and looking for the boat trip booking office
In addition your design should
• Cater for staff and visitor vehicle parking say.2-4 spaces max
• Provide disabled access in an interesting external landscape design
• Provide external terrace decking and a sheltered seating area
• Propose a low-cost makeover that is high on visual impact and appropriate in the dockside location
Your design should consider the following:
• The visual impact and appeal to visitors
• Appropriate materials for cladding/ porch additions and landscaping in an exposed maritime location.
• Reuse/ recycling of materials
• Opportunities for promoting ‘Living Milford’ as a new social/ leisure venture and brand
Produce an A3 brochure/ report promoting your design for presentation to the client at your crit – word count 2000