The basis for the profession of occupational safety and health include concerns regarding the protection of human health, safety, and property.
Reading Assignment–Read Chapters 1, 2, and 3 and review first set of notes located in “course documents”. Also preview the OSHA homepage at www.osha.gov
Ch. 1 Comments–The basis for the profession of occupational safety and health include concerns regarding the protection of human health, safety, and property.
Ch. 2 Comments—Incident rates have declined steadily as a result of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970. However, conformance to legislation is not enough alone to create a safe and healthful working environment. Requirements have encouraged a safer and healthier workplace and assisted otherwise unsafe companies to preserve health and safety of their workers.
Ch. 3 Comments– Worker’s Compensation is one of the costliest types of insurance paid by employers. Modern state Worker’s Compensation laws have evolved from laws and legislation dating back hundreds of years.
• Explain the importance of occupational safety and health.
• Identify key historical figures that have contributed to the profession.
• Define terminology used in occupational safety and health.
• List job titles of individuals that perform occupational safety and health activities.
• Identify roles and responsibilities of safety and health professionals.
• Explain the history of safety and health legislation.
• Understand the structure of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970.
• Identify the origins of OSHA standards.
• Know the specific requirements of the OSHAct.
• Understand the procedures for conducting OSHA inspections.
• Learn the purpose and history of Worker’s Compensation legislation.
• Identify the benefits provided by Worker’s Compensation insurance to employees and employers.
• Understand important legal terminology related to civil law.
• Identify the different types of torts.
• Understand product liability and associated risks.
• Understand product safety and Product Safety Act.
• Identify the types of warranties.
Type answers and submit back through this Blackboard assignment site.
1. Identify an individual for each of these.
a. Father of Industrial Hygiene
b. Father of Toxicology
c. Designed first crude face mask
d. In 400 B.C., he recognized the toxicity of lead
e. Identified first known occupational cancer
2. Describe the difference between ?loss prevention? and ?loss control?.
3. List at least 5 job titles associated with occupational safety and health.
4. Define ?safety?.
5. Define ?accident? and explain why safety professionals no longer approve of the use of this term.
6. Schedule an interview with a victim of an occupational injury or illness. Turn in the name of the individual (not a family member) and the date of the interview. A report of the interview will be due during week 4 of the class.
7. List the organizations created by the OSHAct.
8. What are 4 of the powers delegated to OSHA by the Act?
9. What are 4 of the responsibilities assigned to NIOSH by the Act?
10. What the the degrees of violations for OSHA citations?
11. Who comprises the OSHRC and how are their terms of office set up?
12. Who are the current U.S. Secretary of Labor and the administrator of OSHA?
13. Identify the full names of the following organizations
14. Specifically, who is covered by the OSHAct?
Write a 2-page paper (double-spaced, 12 pt) detailing the history of Worker’s Compensation beginning with the Code of Hammurabi and concluding with current sate laws.