Question 1: (Word limit 1000 words, Mark: 12.5)
Discuss the case of Australia Post as a natural monopoly.
I am enclosing two articles that may help formulating your reasoning. I will expect that you will read more than these two articles, however. Note that both these article are quite dated. Your discussion should include the recent way of operation, regulations, pricing strategies and efficiency in production.
Question 2: (Word limit 1000 words, Mark: 12.5)
Enclosed a news article entitled “’Down Down’ and ‘Cheap Cheap’ are gone gone: Coles, Woolworths moving away from ‘supermarket price wars’”
Do you really think that this argument is right? Use your own observation to explain these two supermarket’s pricing strategies/rivalry along with changes in market shares and profit margins announced publicly.
Please note that for both questions full bibliography following any consistent style is required.
Also Supply the word count of each question.
This Individual Research Assignment relates to the following Learning Outcomes:
• Knowledge: Recognise the relevance of industrial organisation in the contemporary world and the fundamental models of microeconomics needed to develop a deeper understanding of the subject matter.
• Communication: Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate theories and knowledge of industrial organisation in technical and non-technical language.
• Ethics: Demonstrate ability to evaluate economic theory and real world applications in the context of equity considerations (rubric given below).
Ethics (ethical reasoning) rubric
Fails to meet criteria
Articulation of issue(s) – Ethical issue is clearly stated, succinctly yet comprehensively explained, and the ethical decisions are identified.
Analysis – Issue is analysed using relevant and appropriate ethics theories, concepts, frameworks, models, techniques and/or tools to develop a comprehensive exploration of the issue(s), including taking into account diverse/competing ethical perspectives.
Position – The analysis is interpreted, evaluated, integrated and/or synthesised to support and provide evidence for a clear overall position, demonstrating independent well-reasoned ethical judgement.
Critique – Assumptions, objections to and implications of the position are identified, considered and appropriately defended against.
Page 2 of 3
• The assignment must be submitted no later than Monday 21st May, 2018, 4:30 pm ELECTRONICALLY via turnitin link in ilearn as well as a IN PRINT WITH A COVER SHEET TO BESS
• Submission link in ilearn and Box at BESS will be open by 14th of May (one week before last date of submission).
• Please make sure to put your assignment in the right box
• No extensions will be granted except in cases where an application for ‘Special Considerations’ has been approved.
• Late submission will incur a penalty of 10% per day of total available marks.
• Submissions will not be accepted beyond 96 hours past submission deadline by 4:30 pm Friday, 25th May, 2018.
• Avoid plagiarism. The consequence of plagiarism is zeromark.
• Get familiarized with the academic honesty policy: https://staff.mq.edu.au/work/strategy-planning-and-governance/university-policies- and-procedures/policies/academic-honesty
DOCUMENT PREPARATION GUIDELINE
• Please make sure that the assignment should be a professional document.
• Only use A4-size white paper with TYPED ANSWERS using a Word Processor (e.g. MSWord) on SINGLE-SIDED PAGES.
• All questions are answered with the working, diagrams and reasoning where needed.
• All answers are presented in proper sequence of the assignment and in clear language.
• Please read the Assignment and Ethics Rubric and make sure that the answers are up to the criteria