- The Harper Collins Study Bible: The New Revised Standard Version.
- Collins, John J. A Short Introduction to the Hebrew Bible. 3rd ed. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2018.
1) How do you understand the composition of the book of Daniel? What is an apocalypse? How does Daniel 7-12 differ from earlier Hebrew prophecy? What were the causes of the Maccabean revolt?
2) What light does the preface to Ben Sira shed on the formation of the Hebrew canon? What was Ben Sira’s attitude to women? How does Ben Sira address the problem of theodicy or the justice of God?
3) How can concepts such as inspiration and revelation be understood in light of the historical understanding of the scriptures? What do you find to be enduring values in the biblical text?
4) The first part of the book of Daniel is set in the time of Babylonian captivity but scholars say that the book is the latest book composed by the Hebrew people. Based in your reading of Collins, say why scholars think this book was written later in the Hebrew culture.