Reading Guide 1: Shohat: Sepharadim in Israel: Zionism from the stand point of its Jewish victims; Nichols “The Voice of Documentary.”
Zionism Mizrahim voice
discourse meta-narrative documentary
Ashkenazim modes of representation
- What is the official Zionist narrative?
- How does Shohat deconstruct this narrative?
- What are some of the new frameworks for analysis she offers?
- What is the source of the conflict between Arab-Jews and Zionism?
- What is the ‘voice’ in a documentary film?
- What can the voice in documentary film tell us about the style of representation intended by the director?
- How do the different styles of representation in documentary film affect the film’s text?