TITLE: Brand analysis report of Alibaba: the largest online retailer in China
The following overarching framework will be used to guide assessment and moderation of your report. Grade allocations are list as follows:
• Introduction – 15%
• Overview of the brand and marketplace – 20%
• Analysis of the brand – 30%
• Strategic recommendations – 20%
• Presentation (List of References & Technical care) – 15%
You will be required to cover the following in your report:
• Profile the brand, provide relevant market statistics, etc. Be sure to include discussion on the brand positioning in its current form, as well as the brand elements and sources of brand equity.
• How does the brand manage relationships with consumers? Does the brand have alliances with other brands (co-branding, ingredient branding) or people (celebrity endorsement)? Is there a specific brand architecture?
• How does the brand track and measure performance over time?
• Why do you surmise the brand has not been launched in the UK? Refer to issues such as competition, potentially different consumer characteristics between the UK and the brand’s home market, etc.
• With respect to the new market (i.e. UK): Discuss the likely target market, points of difference and points of parity, and so on.
• Lastly, critically evaluate and discuss the strategic options available to your chosen brand, recommending what you believe to be the optimum strategic option available. Be sure to consider new products and brand extensions in your response.
• You will need to use relevant concepts and theories from the module to support the above analysis
Your report will demonstrate your ability to:
a) Understand brand management fundamentals
b) Utilise tools to analyse the brand in its current form and what it represents to consumers
c) Think strategically about the status quo of a given brand and opportunities for growth
d) Critically evaluate the best course of action for growing the presence of the brand
e) Performance research into the brand in an independent manner