Topic: Ethics and Consequentialism
Topic: Ethics and Consequentialism
Module 2 – Case
BUSINESS ETHICS AND CONSEQUENTIALISM
In the Module 2 Case, we will apply utilitarian ethics to an organizational problem. In order to be best prepared and perform well on the case assignments, please be sure that you complete the Background Information readings and the SLP before completing your Case.
Read the following excerpt concerning the philosopher Jeremy Bentham, the father of utilitarian ethics: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/utilitarianism-history/#JerBen
Please read the following case study from the Markkala Center for Applied Ethics:
Here is the actual outcome:
Please write a 5- to 6-page paper in which you address the following:
Drawing upon utilitarian ethics, discuss what you believe the supplier/transistor company should do.
Keys to the Assignment
The key aspects of this assignment that should be covered in your paper include the following:
• What do you believe is/are the key utilitarian ethical problem(s) confronting the supplier/transistor company in this Case?
• What advice do you believe Jeremy Bentham would have given the supplier company?
• Apply Steps A through D of the Utility Test to the above case. Be sure that you carefully document each step in the process.
• Choose one of the following five tests: Rights Test, Exceptions Test, Choices Test, Justice Test, or the Common Good Test. Click here: https://ethicsops.com/EthicsTestsLinks.php . Now, apply the test you’ve chosen to the above case. In your paper, be sure that you have fully discussed your decisions at each step.
• Compare and contrast the results you have obtained from the Utility Test with the additional test you have selected. Which of the two tests is most informative, and why?
Your paper will be evaluated using the following five (5) criteria:
• Assignment-Driven Criteria (Precision and Breadth): Does the paper fully address all Keys to the Assignment? Are the concepts behind the Keys to the Assignment addressed accurately and precisely using sound logic? Does the paper meet minimum length requirements?
• Critical Thinking (Critical Thinking and Depth): Does the paper demonstrate graduate-level analysis, in which information derived from multiple sources, expert opinions, and assumptions has been critically evaluated and synthesized in the formulation of a logical set of conclusions? Does the paper address the topic with sufficient depth of discussion and analysis?
• Business Writing (Clarity and Organization): Is the paper well written (clear, developed logically, and well organized)? Are the grammar, spelling, and vocabulary appropriate for graduate-level work? Are section headings included in all papers? Are paraphrasing and synthesis of concepts the primary means of responding to the Keys to the Assignment, or is justification/support instead conveyed through excessive use of direct quotations?
• Effective Use of Information (Information Literacy and References): Does the paper demonstrate that the student has read, understood and can apply the background materials for the module? If required, has the student demonstrated effective research, as evidenced by student’s use of relevant and quality (library?) sources? Do additional sources used in paper provide strong support for conclusions drawn, and do they help in shaping the overall paper?
• Citing Sources: Does the student demonstrate understanding of APA Style of referencing, by inclusion of proper end references and in-text citations (for paraphrased text and direct quotations) as appropriate? Have all sources (e.g., references used from the Background page, the assignment readings, and outside research) been included, and are these properly cited? Have all end references been included within the body of the paper as in-text citations?
Tips and Suggestions
1. Your paper will be graded on the following:
o Your ability to apply utilitarianism to the decision faced by the transistor/supplier company;
o Your ability to apply the Utility Test and your choice of the five tests to the problem confronting the supplier;
o The extent to which you have logically and critically compared and contrasted the results from the two tests; and
o Your assessment as to which of the two tests best informs the Case.
2. Please do not simply restate the facts of the Case. Instead, be sure to analyze! Critical analysis is key at the graduate level.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂