Two assignemnts (1-Communication 2-Health
Full instructions are provided for both assignments. Here are brief instructions:
In a brief 500-750-word memorandum (use correct business memo format–memo header, text should be single-spaced, block style with a space between paragraphs, no indention of first line of each paragraph) to your current supervisor, communicate your actual, real-life career objectives for personal professional development (short range, mid-term, and long term–1-3 paragraphs for each–also include an introductory and conclusion paragraph)
choose one topic and identify two specific legal obligations that a specific health service organization (HSO) has to its patients and then write a paper discussing all the areas listed in the outline following this subject list. Include a cover page and a list of references at the end of the paper. Paper will be double spaced and be 3-5 pages in 12 point New Times Roman font. The cover page and references are excluded from the page count. Word format please.
Paper 1: Professional Goals Assignment #1: Management Tools for Health Care Organizations to Comply with Patient’s Legal Rights (12.5 points)
From the list below, choose one topic and identify two specific legal obligations that a specific health service organization (HSO) has to its patients and then write a paper discussing all the areas listed in the outline following this subject list. Include a cover page and a list of references at the end of the paper. Paper will be double spaced and be 3-5 pages in 12 point New Times Roman font. The cover page and references are excluded from the page count. Word format please.
• The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA)
• Elder abuse Mandatory Reporting
• Child abuse Mandatory Reporting
• HIV Mandatory Reporting
• The False Claims Act- the civil penalties
• TB Mandatory Reporting
• Proper treatment of environmental hazards.
• Medical error-Critical Incident
• False credentials of health care personnel
• Medical Charting violations
• Violation of HIPAA – confidentiality
• Language services/ translation for non-English speaking patients
• EMTALA Emergency Medical Treatment for patients unable to afford care
• Failure to treat patients in a timely manner
• Failure to maintain required Staffing ratios
• Patient Choice and treatment consent
• Note: Must use the underlined headings from the outline below in your paper and the paper must be in narrative form not outline or bullet format. -1.5pts from 12.5pts paper is worth if underlined headings are not used in your paper.
1. Official Title of the Law or Laws:
Indicate the official title of the federal and/or state law, the statute and section numbers. For example Federal law is written like “18 USC 1801”. The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) is not a federal statute but where administrative requirements man be found. Must be either a federal statute/state statute or you must cite both statutes, if applicable. Thus if there is both a federal and state law that covers the subject you picked then you must cite both.
2. Health Care Organization’s Obligations to meet Patients’ Legal Rights:
Describe and provide details about two specific legal obligations, required by the federal and or state law, that a health care organization owes to its patients. Include the citation and source of documents describing the patient’s rights. Use in-text citations for all statistical references.
3. Consequences for Non-Compliance:
List the two legal obligations from the previous section, then discuss two (2) specific consequences from the federal and or state law, one consequence for each legal obligation, for the organizations’ non-compliance. Then for each consequence you must research and discuss one relevant real life case. In other words, you must discuss one (1) consequence for each legal obligation and have one real life researched case for each consequence. See outline below. Cases must be found via the internet or print media or from personal real life experiences. In other words, what would happen if the organization neglected to meet its obligations to its patients? Be specific. Provide the specific Federal and or state law citations to back up your claim of the consequences. Provide link to source of information.
Legal obligation 1 (topic sentence supported by one specific consequence and a real-world case found in the literature). Sources must be cited using APA.
Legal obligation 2 (topic sentence supported by one specific consequence and a real-world case found in the literature) Sources must be cited using APA.
4. Health Service Organization Management Actions to meet Legal Obligations for Patients’ Rights:
Describe in detail three (3) specific management actions, within your control as a health care manager that you would institute, to ensure the health service organization complies with its obligations to protect patients’ rights. Be specific as to each management action you would personally institute and why. No general comments. These actions may include specific uses of technology, procedures, human resource training, and other management tools.
5. Conclusion: Summary of your findings above.
6. Reference List [APA Format]
The paper must be:
• Use the underlined headings found in the outline below in your paper. Paper must be in narrative format not outline or bullets.
• Must document facts with APA intent citation and corresponding references.
• Include a cover page [not counted as a page] which should have student name and title of your paper [Provide a short name for the legal responsibility the specific health care organization has for one type of patient right in a specific setting ]
• At the end of the paper a list of references [not counted as a page]
• Be prepared using word-processing software and saved with a .doc, .docx, or .rtf extension. No pdf.
• Be uploaded to your Assignments Folder by 11:59 p.m. eastern time on the due date.
• Late penalties: Paper is due by due date. No Late Papers. Penalties begin with a 11% deduction [no chance for an A on the paper] for the first day late and an additional -.5 pt. for each day thereafter, no matter the excuse, which penalties will be deducted from the 12.5pts paper is worth.
• The paper is to be posted in Assignment #1 area of the classroom.
• Except where noted, the assignment is written in clear, concise narrative. All sections of Assignment #1 are required.
• The grading rubric for this assignment appears below, if you opened the Assignment in the Assignment Folder, or can be opened by clicking on the ‘Assignment #1 Grading Rubric’ tab in the lower right corner of the screen, if you opened the Assignment in Content.
1) WATCH the following recorded webinar BEFORE beginning this assignment; when writing your goals statement, be sure to reference at least three things you learned from this recording: https://youtu.be/Iu8ouXApjKo
NOTE: Submissions without the minimum of 3 references to/information from the webinar will receive an automatic zero.
The following articles may also be helpful:
“5 Easy Steps to Setting Your Goal RPA” https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141102182537-35091292-5-easy-steps-to-setting-your-goal-rpa
“Setting Clear Goals: The Key to a Purpose Driven Life” http://themotivationleader.com/setting-clear-goals-the-key-to-a-purpose-driven-life/ (written article)
“Setting Clear Goals: The Key to a Purpose Driven Life” http://themotivationleader.com/setting-clear-goals-the-key-to-a-purpose-driven-life-by-dr-lawrence-j-clark-audio/ (audio version)
2) In a brief 500-750-word memorandum (use correct business memo format–memo header, text should be single-spaced, block style with a space between paragraphs, no indention of first line of each paragraph) to your current supervisor, communicate your actual, real-life career objectives for personal professional development (short range, mid-term, and long term–1-3 paragraphs for each–also include an introductory and conclusion paragraph)
Use each of the t
hree labels (short range–less than one year, mid-term–1-5 years, and long term–10, 20, 30 years out) in turn as the heading for each of the three sections. NO “bullets” or lists may be used in this particular assignment (don’t worry; you’ll use them a lot later!) – so use narrative format only, please.
Remember your audience – you must satisfy your employer’s perspective while being honest about your goals for the future. Not now employed? Pick a typical job related to your major and write to a future boss. NOTE: If you choose this option, include a brief note to me letting me know that you are writing to a future employer.
*This was my introduction to my class:
Hello Class! My name is Eddie Koo and I am 34 years old. I used to live in South Korea after my military service but now I reside in Severn, Maryland. I came back to the states after 5 years in South Korea because my dad had a stroke. Now I work at the VA hospital as a medical tech and also trying to graduate by next spring. My family and friends are very important to me and I would do pretty much anything for them.
In the beginning, I used to take one class at a time but now I’m taking three classes per sections. I took this course to better and to increase my skills in communications. Currently, I am working on BS in Health Management with Minor in Criminal Justice. My hobbies are usually outdoor activities. I like playing flag football, basketball, bowling, snowboarding, and fishing.