Skip to content
- Discuss a population for whom you know very limited information (ASIAN POPULATION). Utilizing the three types of advocacy strategies we discussed in class, please give specific examples of how you would use each strategy to advocate for this population. Please provide at least two examples for each type of advocacy strategy. (3 points)
- Explain how an anti-racism and anti-oppressive perspective is critical to effective multicultural social work perspective. Provide one example to illustrate this perspective in action. (3 points)
- Briefly describe the four components of cultural competence as outlined by the text and indicate the challenges you anticipate experiencing with each component (3 points)
- BECOMING AWARE OF ONE’S OWN VALUES, BIASES, AND ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT HUMAN BEHAVIOR.
- UNDERSTANDING THE WORLDVIEWS OF CULTURALLY DIVERSE CLIENTS
- DEVELOPING APPROPIATE INVTERVENTION STRATEGIES AND TECHNIQUES
- UNDERSTANDING ORGANIZATIONAL AND INSTITUTIONAL FORCES THAT ENHANCE OR DMINISH CULTURAL COMPETENCE
Essay – Please review the case summary provided below. Based on the case scenario, imagine you are working with Isabella.
- Maria, originally from Mexico and residing currently in North Carolina, is undocumented and lives with her husband who is also undocumented. She has an adult child named Isabella who has approval for DACA and resides in the home but her status will expire on February 1, 2018. Isabella is a recent college graduate but is having problems finding employment. She is aware of the abuse in the home and it is starting to impact her. Isabella has witnessed her father physically hitting her mother several times and is concerned about her mother’s safety. Isabella has several friends outside of the home but they are unaware of the abuse occurring. The family resides in a neighborhood that is not culturally diverse and she has heard stories of neighbors supporting the building of the wall for Mexico. Isabella comes to your office to seek services to assist with learning how to deal with the domestic violence in her home and options for helping her mother to leave the home.
For your essay, please select two of the theoretical approaches discussed in your textbook in Chapter 2 (). Please compare and contrast the major components of both theoretical approaches to this case scenario. Then, describe how you would respond to each case based on the theory. Please provide a minimum of 4 paragraphs for your essay. You will be graded on full response to the question provided, correct application to the theory, and compare and contrast. (6 points total)
- SOCIAL JUSTICE PERSPECTIVE
- INTERSECTIONALITY ERSPECTIVE