- Define what is meant by an “organization” in the context of a business organization and the role of the manager in an organization.
- Carl’s performance seems to be entering into the realm of a self-fulfilling prophecy. What does this mean and how does the self-fulfilling prophecy affect individuals’ behaviors in an organization?
- Showing favoritism for certain group members, spreading rumors about group members and blaming coworkers are examples of which type of deviant workplace behavior?
- What term applies to a situation in which complying with one requirement of a group role makes it difficult, and perhaps impossible, to comply with another requirement?
a. Role perception
b. Role expectation
c. Role adaptation
d. Role conflict
- What type of work teams generally only make recommendations because others are empowered to implement the recommendations?
a. Quality-control teams
b. Self-managed teams
c. Cross-functional teams
d. Front-line teams
- Explain what is meant by surface-level diversity and deep-level diversity, and explain what each entails regarding perception, personality and assumptions.
- AJAX Distributing is a leader in global marketing of home decorating products. Because of the fast-paced nature of its business and the constantly changing competitive environment, AJAX supervisors are constantly under pressure to make decisions. The department manager wants to leave decision making in the hands of the employees he knows have higher mental ability. However, his boss (the VP) does not agree that smart people always make the best decisions. They are both correct. Explain how individuals with higher mental ability can be both the best and not the best at making decisions as compared to other individuals.
- Compare and contrast unfair discrimination and diversity management as it relates to organizational behavior at the institutional level.
- What is standardization in the context of organizational behavior and how do organizations use standardization?
- How can a company build a positive organizational culture?
- Explain the relationship between seniority and productivity.
- Why is it particularly important to group behavior that an organization creates a climate of trust for work groups and teams?
- ABC Industries is adjusting its strategic focus toward being a leader in small-batch technology. What type of authority structure must ABC have in place to successfully make this move and why is that structure necessary?
- What are the motivational advantages of a functional organizational structure?
APA format and references not needed at this time. However, I have listed the text resources from the class and topics below:
- George, Understanding and Managing Organizational Behavior, Pearson eText, 6/e
- Robbins, Organizational Behavior, Pearson eText, 17/e